Friday, May 20, 2016

Cristi 3, Diabetes 0

It's been a few years, but I used to keep track of all of my big success over diabetes. I posted the first score card when I successfully completed a sprint triathlon (Diabetes Didn't Win), and the second when I finished my second half marathon (Diabetes Still Didn't Win).

This week brought on a new challenge -- the Manitou Incline in Colorado Springs, CO.


The Manitou Incline, or just "The Incline" as it is commonly referred to around here, is a popular hiking destination that will challenge any athlete. It gains over 2000 feet in elevation in less than a mile with an average grade of slightly more than 40%.

Tim told the complete story of our adventure on his blog. I'm just bragging about how I made it to the top (and back down an adjoining 2.5 mile trail) while still keeping my blood sugar in a safe and healthy range.

We made it to the top!

A few weeks ago, a friend fighting back against type 2 diabetes said that "diabetes messed with the wrong person." Similarly, type 1 diabetes picked a fight with the wrong person when it decided to mess with me.


©2009-2016 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Manitou Springs is one of my favorite places in the whole world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me how you did it without getting a low blood sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with no insulin on board and ate a granola bar with 18 grams of carbs. I had a squeeze pouch of applesauce when my blood sugar started dropping and then added in a few jelly beans. I wear a continuous glucose monitor so I could see it starting to go down before it got really low.

      Delete
    2. Did you keep the temp basal for the entire trip? How were you after the hike? Did you spike or drop later that night?

      I'm a T1D of 29 years and am attempting this tomorrow for the fist time. I have my CGM and T-Slim. What were your sugars when you started? Did you have to stop and wait for lows to correct?

      Delete
    3. I'm not wearing a pump so I didn't have the option of having a temporary basal. We did the climb early in the morning which is a normal time for me to exercise (30-45 minute runs). The best I can remember, my morning blood sugar was around 110 before the granola bar. I noticed when the blood sugars started trending down but were still above 100 so I didn't have any lows that I had to stop and wait for them to correct. I suspect I spiked later that day, perhaps because I split a second granola bar with my husband after we finished or because I never eat that many carbs before lunchtime.

      Good luck with your climb! It looks like a beautiful day for it.

      Delete
  3. wow! We have yet to attempt The Incline. That is so awesome that y'all made it to the top!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...