Wednesday, January 21, 2015

H is for How to Get There {Years Ago}

When we moved to Germany years ago, we didn't get a lot of support from Tim's official military sponsor. Thankfully, my parents attend church with another family who had a daughter who had already been living at Ramstein for a few years. She helped me get settled and shared some of the insider tips on living (and traveling) in Europe.


One thing she gave me was a copy of a travel guide written by American Military Wives. I wish I could remember the name of it, but I passed it along to another newcomer when we moved back to the states.

This travel guide had tips about all the important sites to see in (or near) each major European city, which Christmas markets were best for shopping, what restaurants were worth stopping at, and so on.


The funniest thing was the way the directions were written. The section in each listing for the directions was labeled HTGT, which stood for How to Get There. It didn't often include actual distances or even street names. It was a lot like the directions you'd give a girlfriend if you were telling them how to get somewhere.

"Drive on the priority road through town. Turn left at the church. Take that road until you come to a big tree with three rocks nearby. Turn a little past the last rock and go up the hill. The restaurant will be on your left after you pass two brick houses. If you get to the park with the babbling brook, you've gone too far."

Needless to say, we didn't have a great success rate in finding our destinations. 

Every once in a while, I'll start to give Tim vague directions and he accuses me of giving him "How to Get There" directions .


For most of the past year I've been sharing "Years Ago" stories as I've been Blogging through the Alphabet. There are so many stories left to share that I've started over again. This time I'm linking my posts with Kristi at The Potter's Hand Academy

Blogging Through the Alphabet

©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I think the book is called Never A Dull Moment. We still have our copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! Thank you! Trying to remember the name of it was going to drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...