Sunday, November 17, 2013

This Year's Favorite Crew Review Items

Earlier this week I posted my final review for this year's Schoolhouse Review Crew season.  Members of the Crew were recently asked to vote on our favorites for this year -- the annual Blue Ribbon Awards. This year's award winners will be announced on the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog on Wednesday, November 20th. Since voting is not fully completed, I will wait until later to share my choices for the individual awards.

In the meantime, I will share ten of our family's favorite review products from the past year. All of the following products are still currently being used by at least one child. (Note: the name of the product will link to my review if you are interested in learning more.)

1. Adventures of Lily Lapp
Lauren and I read the first three books in the series (Life with Lily, A New Home for Lily, and A Big Year for Lily). The fourth book in the series, A Surprise for Lily, is on her Christmas Wish List.


2. Bible Study Guide for All Ages
Lauren loves doing these Bible study work-together sheets so much that I ordered the materials for the next 26 lessons (we do approximately two per week).


3. Logic of English
Lauren is slowly working through the complete lessons as her reading, spelling, grammar, and writing curriculum. I also found more difficult spelling word lists so that Brennan can use it for his spelling practice. I like the way that specific (logical) English word rules are taught instead of asking him to memorize correct spellings that are often quickly forgotten.


4. Notgrass America the Beautiful curriculum
Brennan uses this program for his history, geography, and literature assignments each day.


5. Hands of a Child lapbooks (Kitchen Science and Princesses)
These lapbooks work perfectly to add exciting unit studies to our regular core curriculum. We'll be doing the Symbols of Christmas study during December.



6. Seed Sowers and missionary stories from YWAM Publishing
We started reading these books during and immediately following our lunchtime, and we've continued on to find more inspiring missionary stories to share each day.

 photo seedsowers_zpsfab02814.gifJim Elliot  Book photo YWAM-JimElliot_zps37501068.jpg


7. Math U See
Math might be Addison's favorite subject, and I know she's doing so well because of the strong foundation built over years of using Math U See. She is a few lessons away from finishing the Pre-Calculus materials, and she told me that the Calculus book is on her Christmas list. (I think she was only half-joking when she said that.)


8. Touch Math and Math Mammoth
For Lauren's written math practice each day, I use a combination of Touch Math and Math Mammoth. Practicing the same concept in different ways helps her to understand it more completely. Regardless of which program we are using, we use the Touch Math manipulatives (Touch Point dots and Base Ten trays) almost daily.



9. Apologia Science
(Exploring Creation with Anatomy and Physiology and Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics)
In addition to the elementary products we reviewed (and love), Addison is also a big fan of Apologia science. This year she's using their Advanced Biology: The Human Body materials.


10. God's World News
Confession time: God's World News makes my favorites list because I love my subscription to WORLD even more than Addison enjoys her Trak magazines.


There are many more review products that we continue to use on a daily or weekly basis. We have truly been blessed by all of the wonderful products and opportunities we've received during this year as a part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew!

Disclaimer: I received all of the above mentioned items as part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew. I was required to write a single, honest review of the materials. I am voluntarily choosing to share my favorites again, and I'm receiving no additional compensation for this post.


Photobucket
Blogging Through the Alphabet
F is for Favorites
©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. I would agree with you on the vast majority of your favorites... I've been thinking about posting something similar myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did we get a full subscription to WORLD? I keep feeling so blessed when I get another issue in the mail because I honestly thought we were only getting one sample issue of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are truly blessed with the extra subscription. I just checked my account online, and it says it's current until sometime next summer.

      Delete
  3. Great List and great idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Math U See, We have been users for a while but the review came at the perfect time for us!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...