For a few weeks this summer, our family has had "Tech-Free Tuesdays." This week, I've taken my tech-free commitment to a new level.
I turned my computers completely off until after Lauren goes to bed.
With the desktop and laptop computers both completely shut down, there wasn't any temptation to just hop online for a minute here or a minute there.
Here's what I did instead of checking in online today.
1. I got a haircut. I've been saying for a long, long, long time that I just don't have time to go get a haircut. It really wasn't a matter of time. I had plenty of time for both Lauren and I to get haircuts.
2. While Lauren was getting her hair done, I eavesdropped on her chatting with her hairstylist instead of trying to read emails on my iPod. It was too cute!
3. I fixed the hair for five of Lauren's dolls -- ponytails, french braids, etc.
4. I did a messy craft project without rushing to clean everything up.
5. I took "one more silly one" when I was snapping pictures.
6. I noticed the pepperoni smiley face Lauren put on our homemade pizza.
7. I watched a TV show with Lauren, instead of just letting her watch by herself. As an added bonus, it had good lessons that we've already talked about.
8. I read five more chapters in our latest read-aloud book.
9. During quiet rest time, I read a book and took a nap instead of letting time slip away from me while I was online.
10. I didn't rush through bedtime so that I could get back to my computer.
I'm a better mom when I turn my computer off. It's far too tempting for me to sneak on a computer for a few minutes here or there during the day. I want to focus more on my family. For me, that means remembering how to shut down my computer so that I can pay attention to the people around me.
(O is for Off)