Thursday, January 31, 2013

T is for Tomato Soup Recipe

We don't have a lot of cold days in Arizona, but we have had a day or two that just begged for a soup-and-sandwich meal.

I've recently perfected a tomato soup recipe that's both allergy-friendly and better tasting than canned. It was perfect to pair with some grilled cheese (or cheese substitute) sandwiches. The recipe makes at least four generous servings of soup, and it doesn't take long at all to make. The pot I made for my lunch today was ready before my oldest daughter finished making Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and she started first.

Easy Tomato Soup

4 Tablespoons bacon grease, divided
1/2 onion, very finely chopped
4 Tablespoons flour -- I used a gluten-free all purpose blend
1 large can tomato juice

Heat 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in a large saucepan. (If you don't already have a jar of bacon grease in your fridge, you'll have to fry some bacon. Trust me, the bacon grease is important.)


While the grease is heating, chop the onion into the tiniest pieces you can. Add them to the hot grease, and allow to cook for a few minutes. You want them softened, but not browned.


Add another 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and 4 tablespoons of flour. Stir until the flour is all mixed in and starts to brown slightly.


Lower the heat on the stove and pour in about a cup of the tomato juice. Stir until it is smooth. Add the rest of the tomato juice. Bring to a boil. It should thicken slightly as it cooks.



Serve with grilled cheese (or cheese toast made with gluten-free bread and Daiya cheese for an allergy-friendly lunch).



I'm linking my delicious (and easy) soup recipe in several places this week. Feel free to hop around and find some more fun recipes at Home to 4 Kiddos, learn some tips on being frugal with Frugal Family 2013, or read some other "T" posts at Ben and Me's Blogging through the Alphabet.

Blogging Through the AlphabetFrugal Family 2013

©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced.

7 comments:

  1. Bacon grease, huh? I can scrounge some of that up around here, I think. LOL

    Do you put your grease right in the mason jar, or let it cool first? I guess it should be able to handle hot grease, since it can go in a pressure canner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually it goes right in the jar; right on top of whatever was already in there. As for bacon grease at your house, that's where I was planning to go if I ever ran out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you are makin' me hungry! love this recipe- thanks for linkin up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have thunk it? Not vegan, but a very interesting recipe indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tomato soup and will have to try this. It does seem funny that bacon grease could be healthier than canned soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure the bacon grease makes it healthier. We can't eat Campbell's because of the wheat/gluten in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved tomato soup since I was a little girl! This looks really delicious and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...