Monday, December 8, 2014

Allergy-friendly Cranberry Orange Bread

A year or so ago I saw a recipe for Cranberry Orange bread on my friend Kate's blog (Under the Sky). I added it to my Pinterest boards but never got around to making it. When she posted a picture of it on Facebook a few days before Thanksgiving, I decided that I absolutely had to try some.

I had to change a few things so that it would be allergy-friendly enough for Lauren to have some. Thankfully, my changes all worked and it turned out to be a wonderful breakfast treat for our whole family.

Kate graciously gave me permission to share my allergy-friendly adaptation of her recipe. I'm sure the original recipe is also delicious if you don't have any food restrictions.


Cranberry Orange Bread (allergy-friendly)

2 cups gluten free flour (see notes, some flours may need 1 tsp xanthan gum added)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine (milk-free, soy-free, corn-free if necessary)
grated rind of half an orange
2 Tbsp applesauce
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups chopped cranberries (approximately 6 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the first six ingredients and cut in margarine using a pastry blender or two knives. Add orange rind, applesauce, orange juice, and stir well. Add chopped cranberries. This makes enough batter for one full-sized loaf of bread or four mini-loaves of bread. We found that the mii loaves of bread turned out a bit better. (I always have better luck baking smaller items when working with gluten-free flours.) Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out very clean.

Note: I used Pillsbury Best Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend which already contains xanthan gum. If using another gluten-free flour blend, add 1 tsp of xanthan gum to the recipe.


©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...