Thursday, August 8, 2013

Picnics for One

Because of my daughter's food restrictions, I find myself packing a meal for her fairly often. Sometimes we'll be able to microwave the meal at our destination, sometimes we'll be eating before the food cools off, and sometimes I just plan a cold meal.

Here are some of our favorite "picnics," ones that I pack when she'll be eating at an event that doesn't have safe food for her.

1. Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Yes, the same recipe I shared earlier this week. She also had black grapes and marshmallows.



2. Burrito Bowls (our do-it-yourself Chipotle meal)

For this meal, I was packing food for both Lauren and myself. We had rice, pinto beans, shredded pork, fake cheese, and avocado. She prefers her food separated (container on the left), and I made mine already assembled. The third container (at the top of the picture) held our dessert.



3. Quesadillas

We have a shared meal at church every Wednesday night, and this is what I packed for Lauren and I to eat last night. I was able to add refried beans, corn, and olives from the buffet line.



4. BLT Wraps

Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches don't necessarily need to have bread.



5. Black beans, corn, and rice

The top right compartment contains some easter colored marshmallows. (Can you sense a trend in what sorts of treats I save for Lauren's picnics?)



6. Leftovers

In this case, it was baked chicken and rice . . . and more marshmallows. I heated it before I left home, and it was still warm enough to eat when we got to church 20 minutes later.



I've also been known to pack leftover pizza (homemade or store-bought), cheese-and-crackers,  or veggies with hummus.

Be sure to click on the button below so you can hop around to see what other bloggers are talking about during our big Schoolhouse Review Crew Blog Hop this week. There's a wealth of information to be discovered.

Summer Blog Hop

©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. These are such great ideas! I will definitely be refreshing some of my ideas for the kiddos in my family who bring their own food everywhere. I love the idea of the compartment containers too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...