Thursday, February 7, 2013

My hopeful garden

I once had a beautiful garden -- eight years and four houses ago. This year, I've decided to try again.

I don't have a big back yard here. I'm also not sure that any part of the backyard gets enough sun because it is completely walled. I don't how easy it will be to keep things growing in the desert heat this summer.

I'm going to give it a try though. Yesterday I planted my "hopeful garden." I think this is the part of the backyard that gets the most sun. It's also visible from the main rooms of the house so hopefully I won't forget to water it.


I planted lettuce seeds in approximately half of the bag. If they sprout, I'll plant more so that I won't be harvesting gobs of lettuce all at the same time.

While I was working outside, I let Lauren plant the flower seeds that she picked out at Lowe's last weekend. She chose some Nasturtiums based on the picture on the front of the package. I'm hopeful that I read the climate chart correctly and that they'll survive some of our summer heat.


While I was typing this post, I looked out the window beside my computer. I was frustrated about the shade in our backyard, and I just now realized that the area in front of our house is very sunny. It's not really part of our tiny yard, rather it's the driveway that extends all the way up to the front of the house. It might be a perfect place to plant more containers. I'm trying to visualize large pots lined up in front of the window and filled with various vegetables. It might just work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...