Thursday, January 10, 2013

Parenting from the Overflow {review}

I should start this review with a confession. I'm a huge devotional cheater and rarely write down my answers when a book has thinking or application questions. I know that I'm really just cheating myself. Not writing down the answers means that I don't think about the question long enough to come up with a concise well-thought out answer. I'm wasting an opportunity to learn by not using the tool that's right in front of me.

A few months ago, I read a book that challenge me even though I didn't write down my answers. It's perhaps the book that challenged me most as a parent last year.

Parenting from the Overflow by Teri Lynne Underwood isn't a typical parenting book. It's not a to-do list of easy solutions. It's a book that challenged me to change my heart and to rely more on God. When I am filled with God's spirit, His love and grace can overflow so that my children will see God though me. "We must be filled with the Lord so it overflows, pour out of us and covers those around us. There is only one path to this end: giving our first attention, our priority attention, to our relationship with God." (page 14)

According to the website, "Parenting from the Overflow is more than a method or theory, it's a biblically-based framework for living in the abundance God has for each of us ... and modeling that life for our children."

I highly recommend this book as we start into a new year. I'm going to be rereading it and actually completing the work pages this time. I'm praying that it will give me a renewed commitment to being the mom God created me to be.

Parenting from the Overflow is available on Teri Lynn Underwood's website as a pdf ($5) or as a print book ($8). Right now, the Kindle version is on sale for only $2.99.

Disclaimer: I received a pdf copy of Parenting from the Overflow so that I could share this review, and I received no other compensation. In return, I agreed to give an honest review of what I thought.


©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced.http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...