Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - 5

The Homeschool Chick

In my life this week...
Our week was less busy than usual, and I got so much more accomplished around the house than I usually do. Perhaps I have underestimated the way our days gets disrupted when Lauren has therapy every morning.

In our homeschool this week...
I found a new schedule sheet that I filled out for Brennan, and (knock on wood) I think it's working. We were organized enough to get to more subjects/activities then we ever have before.

We enjoyed starting Latin again this week. Addison has tried two previous Latin programs on her own, but this time we're all working on one together. Even Lauren tries to join in when we're chanting vocabulary.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
Tomorrow starts a mini-break for us. We're going to Great Wolf Lodge for a few days of fun. It's become a bit of a spring tradition for our family.

My favorite thing this week...
We had a few days that went so smoothly that I was reminded why I love homeschooling. It was easy to lose the joy of homeschooling when I was worried about who was finishing which assignment, why someone hadn't done any work in a specific subject for a few weeks, etc.

My kids would say that the science experiment on the roof of our house was their favorite thing this week.

What's working/not working for us...
Brennan's assignment schedule is working wonderfully. He seems to work much more diligently when he sees exactly what is expected and knows that he can finish it. I'm considering finding a set of drawers so that I can make it more like a workbox system.

A photo to share...
At the risk of oversharing this picture, I'll show the science experiment snapshot again. Addison dropped a baseball off the roof, and we timed how long it took to hit the ground. She then used her new physics knowledge to calculate the height of the roof.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the Latin. We are enjoying it here, too. :)

    I'd be afraid to get a ladder out and let my older kids climb the roof--because I'd be afraid the 5 and 3 year olds would try to climb, too! One advantage to not having preschoolers underfoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice when things run smoothly. I would love to see the schedule sheet you are using. I am always looking for new ones around here. We have just started Latin over here ourselves. It is going slowly, but Tay is really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful trip.

    I am also sending you a blog award. I was given my 1st one today and I wanted to pass it on. You have an amazing blog. I have really enjoyed your posts. Check it out on my site when you get a chance. http://thehappyheartsacademy.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! So glad I stopped by to read your journal.

    Can you tell me: What Latin curriculum are you using? What schedule are you following?

    Hope you're having a GREAT time at the Lodge! We hope to go soon! We spent the weekend in the mountains at a friend's cabin....oh, so needed time away! Blessings!

    Can't wait to read more of your sweet blog!

    Hope you'll drop by.

    momsmustardseeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cool science you all are doing. My oldest would love that.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...