In true Cristi fashion, I had great intentions of getting library books to start on my goal of reading The 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know. It would've helped if I had taken the list with me when we all went to the library. I wasn't about to leave empty-handed so I did the best I could from memory.
Here's what Lauren and I ended up reading this week: (ones on my goal list have a star)
* 1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
2. Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, and Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson
3. Knuffle Bunny and Knuffle Bunny Too by Mo Willems
* 4. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
5. Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley
* 6. Duck on a Bike by David Shannon
* 7. How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
* 8. Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London (and a few more Froggy books)
There are still quite a few books left in the library bag to keep for next week.
I was amazed at how much Lauren is getting out of these books, especially as compared to a year ago or even last fall. I was particularly surprised to see her make connections amongst the stories that we've read. For instance, in Knuffle Bunny, Trixie loses her stuffed animal in the washing machine. Lauren remembered that Corduroy was also once lost in the washing machine at the laundromat. (That's from A Pocket for Corduroy, not the original story.) She also found all the hidden pictures of the pigeon in the Knuffle Bunny books.