Monday, November 16, 2015

The Cow-Patty Birthday Cake {Years Ago}

I baked a batch of allergy-friendly cupcakes for Lauren a month or so ago and took some along for a friend who also has some allergies. At some point during the party, I realized how these cupcakes looked awfully similar to the other ones at the party. I've come a long way since my first food allergy experiments.

While organizing pictures not too long ago, I stumbled across one of my worst food allergy baking attempts.

For Brennan's third birthday, we were visiting my parents, and I attempted to make a milk, egg, and peanut free cake. I don't remember what I did or why it failed, but this is what we ended up with. Everyone told me it didn't look that bad, but all I could think about was how it looked like a cow patty that was covered in sprinkles.


Thankfully my cake baking and cake decorating skills have improved. For the next few years, I conquered the challenge of baking a milk-free, egg-free, nut-free cakes and also decorating them without using any artificial food colorings.


Since I showed off the worst cake of the bunch, I'll take a moment and show-off the two birthday cakes that I'm most proud of. Brennan could obviously have artificial colors for these cakes.



I'm a bit afraid to ask what sort of cake decorating challenge I'll have in store for me this year. I am, however, certain that I'll be able to create something better than the cow-patty disaster cake.


This week is the third week in our Blogging Through the Alphabet challenge. I'm excited to see so many people joining us. Click the button below for this week's linky.



©2009-2015 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

9 comments:

  1. Allergy baking is definitely something that takes practice. I remember my first attempts...luckily everyone else has forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Good times, good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those creative cakes--even the cow patty...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the progression of cakes. I'd say you have become quite adept at decorating. I remember first trying to substitute powdered dextrose for sugar in the already gluten free recipes. At some point you just eat anything edible even if it wasn't the intended result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking with food allergies is rough. I love all of the progress you have made. Good Job! We had to be egg, peanut and gluten free for a long time. We finally figured out that our son was experiencing cross contamination from corn and that his true allergies were corn and peanuts. It is still hard, but it is nice to have back organic wheat.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so thankful we don't have any known allergies to deal with. As far as baking and cake decorating, I can't do it and the husband is REALLY good (as in, he can even do wedding cakes) so he gets desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - We have good laughs over some of the memories of my first allergy baking attempts. You're brave for showing yours off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them, even the "cow patty" cake! We don't have allergies to deal with here but I can imagine how tough it can be. Your progression is great and the football cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me chuckle. I think it looks like a pile of fudgy gooey chocolate frosting covered in sprinkles. I am very impressed with your baking skills!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...