Sunday, August 10, 2014

O is for Oklahoma

Once upon a time, years ago, there was a high school student happily living in Dover, Delaware, until my parents broke the news to me that we were moving all the way to Oklahoma.


I was horrified. I was certain that only cowboys lived in Oklahoma.

They assured me that I was wrong.

Summer came and we drove across the country. Late one night we finally crossed the border into Oklahoma. We weren't all the way to our new hometown, but we were in Oklahoma. We checked into a hotel and set off in search of dinner.

None of us knew that there was a rodeo in town that weekend. We walked into a steak place to eat and every single person was wearing cowboy hats, boots, and the biggest belt buckles I had ever seen.


Thankfully, my Oklahoma story has a happy ending. I joined the band, met a boy who didn't wear cowboy boots, graduated from high school, and ended up staying in Oklahoma to go to college.


I'm still moving around the country wherever the Air Force sends us, but I'm no longer quite so afraid of moving someplace where everyone wears hats and boots.


Ben and MeI'm sharing a "years ago" story corresponding to each letter of the alphabet for the Blogging through the Alphabet challenge hosted by Marcy at Ben and Me. I often tell my children stories of things that have happened in our past, and now I'm taking the time to write down those stories.

©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. It was fun to read. I live in Oklahoma. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...