Sunday, January 19, 2014

One More Time

I'm sure most parents can remember a story or two that they read so many times that they can still remember most of the words. For my children, it was Sandra Boynton's Moo, Baa, La, La, La. There were times in the car that I was thankful I had memorized the book cover to cover because I could continue to "read" no matter what the traffic looked like.

Moo, Baa, La, La, La, Spring 2007

When the kids were still in the stage of wanting to hear favorites over and over, I remember reading an article that put all of this reading into perspective. As adults, we often choose to listen to our favorite songs or watch our favorite movies over and over. Thankfully nobody complains too loudly when I play my favorite CD, even though I may have heard it just the other day.

It's been several years since we've had picture books on repeat at our house. Just this week, though, Lauren begged me to read the Lily Lapp books "just one more time." We read through the fourth (and final) book in the series after she received it for Christmas. I guess she was sad to see the stories come to an end because she wants to start back at the beginning.

Life with Lily, Summer 2013
I had other books set aside that were going to be next on our read-aloud list. Instead, we'll continue to enjoy Lily's antics on her Amish farm in Pennsylvania. I've already found parts of the story that I don't really remember from the first time we read the books. It's comforting to spend our reading time with familiar characters that we've grown to love -- kind of like listening to the playlist with all my favorite songs.

Blogging Through the Alphabet
O is for One More Time
©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...