Saturday, January 4, 2014

Music makes it easier


When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I didn't mind taking insulin shots, especially since those needles are tiny.

When I got my insulin pump, I didn't really mind the larger needle used for inserting the cannula, especially since I only had to change it every three days.

Inserting my continuous glucose sensor, however, bothers me a lot. It's probably not the needle as much as it is the spring loaded insertion device used with it. Whatever the reason, it seemed like it would take me forever to get up enough nerve to hit the insert button.


One day I read a short blurb in a magazine about how patients reported less pain when they were listening to music during injections.

It was worth a shot . . . (pun intended)

You know what? It works. In fact, it works even better than I thought it would.

Yesterday morning I cranked up the volume on my iPhone and started singing along with Mandisa while I pushed the insertion button with hardly any hesitation at all.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. In my case, music makes taking care of my diabetes a whole lot easier.

Blogging Through the Alphabet



M is for Music!

©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...