Sunday, January 12, 2014

Accepting means learning to say "No"

I posted a few weeks ago that my word for 2014 is "Accepting" and that I was going to start accepting the fact that I cannot do everything that I wish I could this.

Lauren's 8th birthday is on Tuesday. Tonight we took a birthday cake to our church small group gathering.


Lauren has chorus rehearsal practice tomorrow night, and she asked months ago if I'd bake cookies for her to share at rehearsal. It's a bit extra-special for her because her food allergies means she never gets to eat any of the cookies other girls bring. Since they are the Ladybugs, I'm decorating thirty-something ladybug cookies tonight.


A few days ago, it dawned on Lauren that she would have cake on Sunday, cookies on Monday, but no special birthday treat on her actual birthday.  She requested cupcakes. Normally, I would've figured out a way to make a batch of allergy-friendly cupcakes, even if it meant staying up late. Instead I decided to explain how two special treats in one weekend was plenty. I said, "No."

Two large baking projects in one weekend is my limit. Accepting my own limits means that I just cannot find time tomorrow to make (and decorate) a batch of cupcakes.

It's a baby step, but it's a step closer to accepting that I don't have to be everything to everybody.

Blogging Through the Alphabet
N is for No
Another baby step this week was realizing that my blog wasn't suddenly going to self-destruct if I got a day (or two) behind on my Beauty Captured photos. They'll be coming soon.

©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...