Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A long-overdue read-aloud update

My friend Debra at Footprints in the Butter has a long-standing read aloud challenge that I've often participated in. I've been reading aloud to my children over the past few weeks, but I haven't taken the time to blog about what we've been reading.

Brennan: A couple months ago, we read The Wednesday Wars in which the main character (a boy roughly Brennan's age) mentions several times that his favorite book is Treasure Island. We decided that we should read it next, and we ended up doing a unit study from Progeny Press to go along with it. We finished Treasure Island last Friday, and yesterday Brennan suggested that we read A Week in the Woods. It's his absolute favorite book, and he's listened to it on audiobook a gazillion times. He wanted me to read it to him, though, and I'm happy to spend a week reading something easy and enjoyable.

Lauren: We're still reading along through the Betsy-Tacy books, and we're on Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill. There's one more ebook in the anthology I purchased, and then I think it's my turn to choose the next book.

During our school time, we're working on an American Girl lapbook, and I've been reading Meet Molly to her. This lapbook didn't turn out to be as much fun as hoped, though, so we probably won't be continuing on with the other characters. I found a lapbook that corresponds to Charlotte's Web that we may start next.

Lauren's also been listening to lots of audiobooks lately. It's fun to hear some of my childhood favorites by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume, but also a bit odd to hear the newer books about Ramona and Fudge.

©2009-2013 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...