Thursday, December 13, 2012

Read-Aloud Challenge (week of Dec 11th)

I stumbled across an idea earlier this week that it making a difference in our homeschool days.

I have one child that rises at the crack of dawn, one child that stumbles downstairs to grab a cup of coffee before going to her online class at 7 or 8 o'clock in the morning, and one child that prefers to sleep in.

For quite some time, I've struggled to wake Brennan up in the mornings. I've decided to embrace this sleepy time in the mornings and use it for our read-alouds. Cuddling up under his blanket on the "fluffy pillow of awesomeness" (aka our new, huge foam beanbag) is almost as good as staying in bed.


We're currently about halfway through The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict. I think it's the newest book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series, but since it's a prequel to the others, it doesn't matter that I've only read (or heard) the first few in the series.

I can't always find books that interest all three of the children, but it's become a family tradition to read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever sometime during the holiday season. "Hey! Unto you a child is born."

Meanwhile, Lauren has continued listening to quite a large assortment of books. Off the top of my head, I can remember reading parts of a Boxcar Children book, one of the American Girl McKenna books, and an Ivy and Bean book. We listened to The Long Winter in the car, and we're nearly finished with The Wizard of Oz.


I'm sharing my list of this week's read-alouds with Debra at Footprints in the Butter.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Mysterious Benedict Society books. Haven't read the newest one yet. I keep trying to convince my kids that they should read it, but maybe I should take your approach and do one of the books as a read-aloud, just to get them interested.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...