Saturday, October 8, 2011

The great tomato debate

We are a family divided. Two of us like tomatoes, but three do not. Because of this disparity, we often discuss the proper type of canned tomatoes to use when cooking. Sometimes I buy the petite-diced variety of tomatoes so that they will be less noticeable. Recently I tried a new dish that we all loved -- shrimp and grits. The tomato-haters in the family did not particularly care for the chunks of yummy tomato pieces found floating amongst their food. Thankfully, they didn't object to the tomato flavor, just to the chunks.

In the case of shrimp and grits, the tomato-haters asked me to just use the regular sized diced tomatoes. It makes them easier to pick out. A few minutes after we said the blessing, this is what three of the plates at our table looked like:


2 comments:

  1. Cristi -- I need this recipe...

    I have grits. I have no idea what to do with them to make them palatable to my most definitely either northern or southwestern family.

    But this... well,this with the tomatoes still IN the dish... looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family sounds like mine! We also have the great tomato debate. I generally buy the petite diced to cook with, as well. The only time I don't is for soup and some casseroles - for the exact same reason that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...