Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - 9

The Homeschool Chick

In my life this week...
It was a crazy week, with most of it trying to balance our normally chaotic life with my husband's time on night shift. Thankfully their big exercise deployment is over, and he's back working during the daytime.

My ankle is strong enough that I'm back to running my regular distances -- this week I squeezed in 8.25 miles. I'm a smidge behind my March goal, but on track for my mile-a-day goal for this year. I was able to spend Lauren's therapy sessions this week doing my Bible in 90 days reading. I think I'm still caught up and on track to finish by the beginning of April. It's been interesting to read the gospels through one after another and compare each writer's account of Jesus's life, what they chose to include, etc.

In our homeschool this week...
Maybe I'm the one that needs to pay more attention to our schoolwork; I always have trouble thinking of an answer for this question. This week, both of the big kids wrote adapted versions of an Aesop's fable, and I was quite impressed with their work. There's no lack of creativity around here.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
This week is Spring Break for the schools in our area, and we're planning a couple of get-togethers with some friends. The beauty of homeschooling is that we'll be able to finish most of our regular assignments and still get to goof off in the afternoons. A few of our regular evening activities are also cancelled this week.

My favorite thing this week...
On Friday afternoon, we took a field trip. My kids thought it was another of my crazy ideas -- an hour drive (each way) just to see a tiny church with a lot of daffodils. In the end, I think we all had fun. A stop at Sonic for Happy Hour was well appreciated on the way home, too.

What's working/not working for us...
I think we've settled on some good materials to use this year. Now we just have to keep going, even when the days get sunny enough to make us dream of Summer.

Homeschool thoughts/questions I have...
I'm starting to plan for next year. Right now, I'm spending a lot of time trying to figure out my priorities for next year. As much as I'd like to be able to devote all the time in the world to each and every subject, I know that's unrealistic. Instead, I'm looking for figure out what each child needs most for the next year, and I'll make that our first priority when looking at curriculum options.

A photo to share...
Our crazy field trip





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture of the kids! I love it. Field trips are so much fun. I really need to make more time for them. I agree that it is important to see what each child's needs are and not push so much of the little stuff. I just said to my husband that if I get reading, writing, and math done I feel like I accomplished a lot. Each one of my kids needs are different so it is nice to focus on those areas the most. Thanks for sharing your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love field trips, but we haven't been on an "official" one since the fall... I miss it, and I know my kiddos love a break in routine now & then :)

    I need to start thinking about next year, too... I can't believe it's that time of year already!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our schedule has been thrown off by my husband's work schedule and sickness! Not fun...

    It is so hard to know what to focus on in school. Seems like I put all of my attention into what I think we need, then some area that I've neglected pops up. SIGH*

    Visiting from THMJ>

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...