As I read the description, I knew that learning to knit with multiple colors would be a bit of a challenge. It also said something about "requires steeking." No problem. I'm good at ignoring minor details like that. After I placed the order, I decided I should google steeking and find out what I had gotten myself into.
It's really no big deal. You just knit the vest as a tube, and then cut big holes in it to for the neck and sleeves.
Really... just take a pair of scissors and cut huge gaping holes into the knit tube that I've been carefully working on for several months.
Insert Cristi trying her hardest not to panic at the prospect of messing up all that work.
I did the first arm hole earlier this summer. Tonight I gathered up enough courage to take a pair of scissors to the other side of the vest.
No guts, no glory...
As far as I can tell, it all turned out okay. I picked up all the loose stitches, and I should be able to stitch the ribbed edging around the arm hole tomorrow during Lauren's occupational therapy.
Only one more steek left to cut, and I'll actually be able to try on the vest. I sure hope this sucker fits...